Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Cafe de Olla

This is my latest obsession:

Cafe de Olla
2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp anise seeds or a dash of anise extract
1/4 cup piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar pressed into cones - you can grate it off) or brown sugar

Bring to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan.


Add 1/2 cup ground coffee and remove from heat. It will foam up in a dramatic fashion.

Steep 5 minutes.


Strain through a fine strainer and drink straight up or with hot milk. It is best from little rough clay cups, in Mexico, but it ain't so very bad in a mug in California, either.

2 comments:

The Guardian said...

Yum! Just made Cafe de Olla and love it!

I added hot half & half, but next time I'm going to try it with evaporated milk. All of the Mexican towns and Caribbean Islands I've been to use that as fresh milk is hard to come by...wonder how that will make it taste...

Thanks again for the great recipe!

Lisa

Suebob said...

you are welcome. I am drinking it every day now. I love the flavor of piloncillo.