Monday, February 18, 2013

A New Project: Cooking with Mollie Katzen - Leek Chips

As a food blogger (even a VERY occasional one), you have to love the Julie Julia movie and consider what it would take to cook your way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

For me, it was a no-brainer - as a vegetarian, I'm not willing to dive into calf liver and poached fish, no matter how much it would improve my cooking technique. Still, the idea simmered in the back of my brain...cooking my way throught a whole cookbook...but what book?

Recently my friend Brenda gave me The Book. I let it sit on the shelf for a while, not realizing it was The Book, but then I started flipping through it and realizing I wanted to make Every Single Recipe.

Here it is: Mollie Katzen's "The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without."

Untitled

It is just about 100 recipes, all vegetarian, mostly vegan. I have tried four so far, and they have all been excellent. I'm inspired again, which is a welcome change from the rut I have been in for so long.

My favorite of the bunch is Leek Chips, which are just leeks cut into rounds, washed well (pesky sand is a particular problem with leeks), tossed with olive oil and baked in a slow oven.
The recipe is online here.
They go from this:
IMG_7842

to this:
Leek Chips

I think may have overcooked them slightly, but they were still good. I ate them ALL. They're a great substitute to calm my craving for onion rings or canned French Fried Onions, both of which are calorie bombs.

They do have some...digestive effects, so Beano is a must here. My mouth tasted like onions all day, but it was so worth it. Thanks, Mollie.

2 comments:

ByJane said...

I love just the idea of an occasional food blog. I've tried it from time to time but always feel defeated by the results of my efforts. Go for it--and I'll be cheering you on.

Suebob said...

Hello there! Thanks for stopping by. My blog has been way too occasional...as in practically non-existent. I'm having fun now, though.