Monday, February 25, 2013

Cooking With Mollie #8: Beets with Tart Pink Grapefruit Glaze

Untitled

I have to admit when I saw Mollie Katzen's recipe for Beets with a Tart Pink Grapefruit Glaze, my heart sank a bit. (The recipe in "The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without" is just for beets - the one online is for beets and carrots.)

Untitled

When I was a kid, my mom made a monstrosity called "Harvard Beets." Hot beets coated in a thick, sweet, orange goo, and this sounded all too similar.

I think she either liked it because my mom has the culinary equivalent of a tin ear, or because she thought she was classing up the joint by serving us something from Harvard. Maybe both.

Mollie's is a better version, though. The Pink Grapefruit gives it a nice zinginess and the small amount of maple syrup leaves it far less sweet than our 1960s Americana version.

Untitled

You can consult Mollie's recipe online, but here are my notes:


  • One large grapefruit yielded exactly one cup of juice
  • You don't have to roast the beets - I steamed mine and they were fine, though roasted beets are terribly good
  • This is pretty good. A nice zippy flavor. I still like plain beets better, but I'm a beet lover from way back. This recipe may appeal to some people who want to mask the flavor of beets somewhat
  • I'll bet this would be gorgeous with Chiogga beets, the ones that are pink and white striped.

    No comments: