Thursday, March 17, 2005

Commercial Indian flatbreads


Commercial Indian flatbreads
Originally uploaded by suebobdavis.
One of the glories of an Indian meal is the breads. Nothing can compare with those that are freshly-made, of course.

But at the end of a long day of work when you just can't cook, these flatbreads make leftovers tolerable or even enjoyable.

I find them in the freezer section of an Indian grocery, but I am sure that many supermarkets in urban areas carry them as well.

The parathas are my favorite. Unfortunately for my nutritional needs, I like the white-flour ones more than the "atta," or whole-wheat ones.

They are light and flaky. Some types are stuffed with fillings like chickpeas and potatoes. The onion are flecked with tiny pieces of green onion.

You just put them in a lightly oiled frying pan, cook until brown spots form, then flip.

Voila. Leftover magic.

No comments: