Saturday, April 23, 2005

Orange to the second power



Yes! Colored orange (at least on the inside) and flavored with orange, this sweet potato dish is an orange double-whammy. Foodgoat hosts this month's Is My Blog Burning? online food blog event with the theme of orange.

My entry has a mix of some of my favorite flavors - chiles, warm-flavored spices and orange.

This recipe comes via Rick Bayless, cookbook author, Chicago restaurant owner ( Topolobampo and Frontera Grill, Chicago ) and ambassador of real Mexican cuisine.

It is called "Camote Adobado" - sweet potatoes in a chile-orange sauce.

The recipe involves a lot of chile toasting, soaking and blending, cinnamon, cloves, orange juice, orange zest and honey.

All this wonderfulness turns into a dark red paste that you pour over sliced sweet potatoes and bake for about an hour. I took it to our "cultural diversity" potluck at work and forced it on my co-workers, who regarded it with fear and suspicion (it does look pretty weird.

But what the heck. I love it. I brought the leftovers home and have been eating them for 2 days. They taste great.

Trust me on this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds fabulous. I'm going to try it with the local NZ sweet potato - kumara.

Suebob said...

Hi Barbara - I love the combination of sweet and spicy flavors with the orange. Is a kumara more or less sweet than a sweet potato? What does it look like? (I have a curiosity about fruits and veg).

Thanks!

Barbara said...

Wow, my stomach growled when I read that. I may have to go out and buy me some sweet 'taters and give it a shot.