Sunday, April 10, 2005

Starbucks 2, Peets 1

After my post about Delocator I ended up going to Starbucks twice and Peets once yesterday. LOL.

It wasn't my fault, honest. We were in Orange County for much of the afternoon and evening for an Angels game (Angels won 8-3, yay, and Bengie Molina hit a beautiful centerfield home run!). We were wandering around in the afternoon and I was dying for caffeine after a huge Stanton Mexicatessen burrito, so into Starbucks we fell. After the game we wanted to meet up with a friend and he suggested...Starbucks, so there we were again.

I went to Peets willingly for a comparative coffee tasting at 11 a.m. I tasted Colombian, Costa Rican, Guatemalan, Blend 101 and Anniversary Blend. Colombian was a classic, innocuous cup that would be welcome anywhere. Costa Rican and Guatemalan were both more complex and interesting - Costa Rican was my favorite single-origin taste. Blend 101 is complex with a lot of bright acidity. The Anniversary Blend is a lovely, smooth rich blend with a lot to offer.

Peet's is giving away free drip coffee, both iced and regular, all day on weekends and from 1 to 3 p.m. weekdays all month to celebrate their 39th anniversary. And if you stop in on Fridays, you get a free 1/4 lb of Anniversary Blend.

Those people are just too dang nice, and their coffee really, really puts Starbucks to shame.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Would that be the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim"?? Who's bright idea was that, anyway? :-)

Sorry, I'm a big baseball fan - Mariners, for full disclosure - but this has got to be one of the dumbest marketing ploys I've seen!

Okay, probably not what you wanted to hear but I had to say it. :-)

Suebob said...

Hey, even fans give a chuckle when they say it. No one seems to think it is a good idea! It ain't our fault!

Brenda said...

Phew! Glad to hear it seems odd to you, too!